Monthly Archive: June 2003

Locust back up

Background:

Locust finally received some new hardware to make it a decent secondary rig, and in honor of it’s rebirth, I decided to give it a new look with some stain and basically do a better job of rerouting everything.

Here’s what the Mark I looked like:

The Work:

I started off by stripping the case of everything and then staining it a dark cherry finish.

 

 

I then started mounting the hardware, beginning with the CD-ROM and the floppy drive. I used regular 90-degree “L” brackets to fasten them to the wood.

Continuing down the front bezel, I mounted the LEDs and switches, two On-(On) switches for power and reset, and one On-Off-On for the 12v-off-5v fan switch. I had already soldered a length of wire to each pole to make attaching wires to the switches easier later on.

 

I then added the dual 120mm fans and screwed them into place.

 

The next step was to put in the motherboard tray…

… and mount the PSU and do some wore wrapping and routing..

 

Here’s where the first “oops” happened. The ASUS a7v266 motherboard is longer than the P5A motherboard it replaced in this case.

This turned out to be not so big of a deal, except that I ended up having to mount the hard drives vertically instead of horizontally between the motherboard and the fans.

As it turned out, the gap underneath the segment of motherboard that protruded over the edge of the tray was perfect for routing ribbon cables to the lower end of the board.

 

I was originally going to use two 2-position 3.5″ bays from the Antec spare part catalog to hold each hard drive horizontally in the stream of the fans for cooling, but the longer a7v266 motherboard made me rethink that. I instead opted to use a 3-position bracket to hold two drives.

Unfortunately, the sides of the bracket would prevent a good airflow, so out came the dremel to cut some air holes. The orange stuff under the rack in the center picture is some rubber matting to use as a vibration dampener.

 

The last things remaining were to screw in the drive rack, run the wires, plug everything in, mount the CCFL and Zalman heatsink and install the OS, in this case, Windows 2000 Professional.

The finished product, complete with green CCFL, some cable origami and wrapping, and the Zalman heatsink.

 

 

 

 

Locust Reborn

In making an entry to the Locust pages, I just noticed that It’s been about a year since I’ve done any mods or anything to it. Wow.

Anyway, I got to feeling antsy about my hardware so I bought a new mobo/processor combo off of ebay for dirt cheap and dropped it into Earthquake. EQ‘s mobo and processor are now headed for Locust, along with a new look to its woody, giving it a cherry stain so it will match EQ‘s case.

The plan here is to turn Locust into my secondary gaming box and turn Plague into a dedicated server that will live in a colo facility somewhere, serving up Quake 2 Devastation goodness and these web pages. In that vein, I’m also taking the Asus V8200 graphics card from Plague to run here.

I’m also rekindling my original watercooling setup for Earthquake, so I may be watercooling Locust or I might save the parts for my new Canterwood-based computer that I’m spec-ing out.

New motherboard for Earthquake

I recently picked up a new A7v266-E motherboard and an Athlon XP 2000+ processor for very cheap off of ebay, so I decided to throw that processor/mobo combo into the old Locust and upgrade Earthquake slightly from an XP 1600+ to an XP 2000+

Here’s the new processor specs:

 Athlon XP Processor High-end
 Core Thoroughbred-A
 CPU Model 8
 Manufacturing Process 130 nm
 Approximate Transistor Count 37.2 million
 Approximate Die Size 80 sq. mm
 Performance Rating 2000+
 Working frequency 1667 MHz
 Package Type OPGA
 Operating Voltage 1.65 V
 Max Die Temperature 90° C
 L1 Cache Size 128 KB
 L2 Cache Size 256 KB
 Multiplier 12.5x
 FSB Frequency 266 MHz
 Stepping Code AIRDA
 Manufacture Year 2002
 Manufacture Week 22
 Production Batch M
 Batch Production Number 8703